Monday, April 4, 2011

Hello, New York!


New York City Opera's David H. Koch Theatre

With director, Scott Schwartz and our show poster
I arrived in New York City on March 28th and have just today taken my first real breath while walking through Central Park. On the way out of a long rehearsal, I decided to take a whimsical right turn down 65th from Lincoln Center and proceeded to walk along the winding passages to the Mall. I don't care what time of year it is or what the weather forecast says, this park is magic and a much needed reprieve after a long week of rehearsals.

Our first sing-through of the opera, Seance on a Wet Afternoon by Stephen Schwartz (composer of Wicked, Pippin and Godspell) took place the morning after I arrived in New York. All husky, dry and jet-lagged, I approached the morning with my fingers crossed.

Our tenor, Todd Wilander, and I sang through our duet having met just 7 minutes previous.  We connected immediately and it sounded as if we'd been singing together for weeks. Mr. Schwartz pumped his fist into the air after our triumph and I knew that all was well.

We have a remarkable cast for a remarkable piece of theatre and music. It is really as if every perfect fit that could happen did happen. Our director, Scott Schwartz, is intent on ultimate realism and that's just what we're striving to create...breath-taking reality.

What a gift to be involved in this project. As I take a moment, under William Shakespeare's statue in the park,  and reflect on my whirlwind week in New York City I wonder who I should thank? How long would that list be?! And, could I ever truly show my full gratitude to every person and for every step that got me here?

No comments:

Post a Comment